Thank you to all who have submitted content for this edition. I appreciate your contributions - this blog is for everyone so feel free to send any news or photos to me throughout the year and I will be sure to include it.
****
Lee Ann Linfante Ganley has forwarded on some information regarding the Mahwah Museum:
An exciting new exhibit will be opened in September. “The Neighborhoods of Mahwah:
1913-2012” will feature historical information about Fardale, Masonicus, East
Mahwah, West Mahwah, Stag Hill and Darlington and the Ramapo Valley. Volunteers
do historic research, find and collect photographs, design exhibit materials,
and help mount the exhibit. Painters, carpenters, film editors, artists and
others are all needed. No experience is necessary.
Volunteers are needed - If you want to participate, please call 201-512-0099.
The Mahwah Museum receives operating support from the New Jersey
Historical Commission in the Department of State.
****
Over the years we have followed the athletic and scholastic achievements of Joe Fagan's kids - here is some exciting news from the Fagan Family:
Here’s
a picture of Joe's son Jack, along with Joe's wife Ann on signing day to play Defensive End at Carnegie
Mellon University on an Academic and Athletic Scholarship. He plans to major in
International Relations and Politics/Economics.
Congratulations Jack!!
Joe's youngest child Shane recently placed second in the Regional Spelling Bee!
Congratulations Shane!
****
Over the Christmas holidays there was an informal gathering of MHS classmates from many graduating classes at the Mahwah Bar and Grill. Here is a picture featuring some of our classmates (with thanks to Lynn Savino for sharing):
Sue Curcio, Scott Mitchell, Todd Cochran,
Lynn Savino, Patty Menz Levys
****
A reminder - please keep us updated when you have a change of address or contact information. You can send your changes to me (Sue) at mahwahhighschool1976@yahoo.com or in a reply to my private email address that I use when I send out notes. Thank you!!!
****
Here is a list of classmates that we have been unable to locate OR their email address is not working. If you know how to reach any of these people, please have them contact me at mahwahhighschool1976@yahoo.com or send any information on and we will contact them directly. We appreciate your assistance with this and hope this brings some success.
Email addresses not working - Tom Reavely, Dick Bjurstrom, Greg Porraro
In need of any contact information for the following classmates so that we can keep them informed about our class:
Cathy Burns
Doug Collums
Deborah DeGroat
Tricia DeJean
Frank DePalma
Jane Faerber
Jonathan Gant
Robin Halliday
Steve Hafner
Bob Iannacone
Mark Jablonski
Bill Jackson
Steven Jacob
Fred Mann
Dennis Murphy
Elise Pendleton
Bob Philpott
Pete Revis
Karen Schmidt
Ken Steffens
Patty Thomas
Jeff Tolen
Ken Yaffey
Bob Whitman
Elaine Junta
****
Ok, show of hands. How many of you
were a member of the Mahwah High School Hiking Club? Did you even know we had a
hiking club? We did. The hikes were great to some truly beautiful landscapes
with great people and friends. The club was organized, if memory serves, by Mr.
Meade. What’s hard to believe is that decades later one of the club’s members
is still hiking and is now writing about it, and other recreational activities.
That would be me.
Since that time so long ago I have
been very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to pen articles for many
different magazines and websites and even three books: one on canoeing, one on
camping, and one on hiking. The latter, “Hiking Alabama”, is now going into its
fourth edition.
As my latest book, “Best Tent Camping
Alabama” hits the bookshelves this week, I was reminded about the fun we had
hiking so many years ago when I was going through a stack of old yellowed
papers. They were pages from a journal, a dated record of some of those hikes.
I peeled off a page and found something amazing – a written record of my first
overnight backpacking trip! My good friends and fellow Mahwahians Jay
Karpowich, Don Stricker, and Gary Wilson joined me on that first wilderness
adventure. As I read on I realized that instead of being a Thor Heyerdahl epic
it was reading more like a William Blatty horror novel. I thought I would share
a bit of that journal with you.
Day 1 – 3:30pm: My old man dropped
us off at Bear Mountain State Park. What a beautiful, majestic, rolling mountain
it is. It towers above the green waters of the Hudson River. To the west stood
the mountain and the trail that we would soon be starting our adventure on. To
the east, the equally majestic, shiny silver Bear Mountain Bridge that spanned
the width of the river to the base of a mountain named for Revolutionary War
general, Anthony Wayne. It was called “Anthony’s Nose.”
We spent the better part of the
afternoon arguing about where to pitch camp. Should we try to hike to the top
of the mountain tonight hoping to reach the top by sunset or just stay here at
the park’s campground? I suggested we pitch camp on “Anthony’s Nose”. Jay and
Gary disagreed, but Don said, “I pick Anthony’s Nose”. We decided to climb Bear
Mountain.
Day 1 – 7:00pm: The sun is setting
as I struggle the last 100-yards to the summit of the mountain carrying a
100-pound pack laden with tin cans of tuna fish and Dinty Moore Beef Stew. The
others have already beaten me there by at least 2-hours. When I arrive they are
grilling 2-inch T-bone steaks on an open fire. I break out my 15-ounce can of
beef stew.
Day 1 – Supplemental – 3:00am: We
are awakened by the flash of a brilliant white light, the sound of gunfire, and
men running past our tents. The West Point Military Academy was located in the
valley just below where we had pitched camp and they decided to have a mock war
game this night. We were, unintentionally, invited.
Day 2 – 6:00am: We are released
from the mock POW camp set up by Company B and continue on our hike.
Day 2 – 2:00pm: As we head down the
side of West Mountain towards tonight’s campsite, dark clouds begin rolling in.
Thunder rocks the mountain and lightening courses around us. We decide to pitch
camp here and wait out the storm.
Day 2 – 6:00pm: The rain is
torrential and shows no sign of letting up. Tree limbs are crashing around us.
The wind has ripped the canopy off the top of our tents twice already. We can’t
build a fire to make something to eat. We’re reduced to eating bags of
Starburst candy.
Day 3 – 3:00am: Roll over in my
sleeping bag to hear the sound of splashing water. I jump up and look around to
find 6-inches of water in the tent and a roll of toilet tissue floating by. We
had pitched camp in the middle of a dry creek bed and the rain was making it
not-so-dry anymore.
Day 3 – 5:00am: Make our way to a
nearby ranger station. Dad drives out and picks us up to take us home. It is a
quiet trip back. We vowed to try again someday.
Why I continued in this sport, and
even write about it, is beyond me. To all former members of the hiking club, I
hope you’re still out there on the trail. If not, all I can say is take a hike! Happy trails!
Here are some photos that Joe also sent in - a 'hike' down memory lane.....
Don Stricker
****
Classmates Lynn Savino, Todd Cochran, John Baker and Patty Menz Levys got together in February to celebrate John's 55th Birthday at Kinchley's. Here are some photos from their fun evening:
Here are Patty and John
In Memoriam
Philomena DePalma Chillino has two new granddaughters! 
Isabella Rose Chillino 7lbs 3oz
Born February 18, 2013
Eleanora Maria Chillino 6lbs 5oz
Born July 5, 2012










+Todd+and+Lynn+laughter.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment